Thursday, September 12, 2013

First week of classes are done

I learned a few interesting things about the way classes in Spain work.

1. "Syllabus day" does not exist. You can almost always expect to read through the syllabus really quick so the teacher can get as much learning into Day 1 as possible.

2. The time the class is supposed to finish (ex: 7 pm) will actually finish ten minutes early every single class. I thought it was a coincidence the first couple of times it happened until one of my professors explained it is a regular thing to get out early every day.

My professors are all easy going and understanding. They recognize the language barrier and for the most part are conscientious that we do not fully understand everything. They constantly ask if we need clarification on anything which is comforting.

Fortunately my program is small. We have eight participants in the Madrid program through Albany therefore all of my classes consist of anywhere from four to six students including me.

Another unexpected aspect of the Instituto Internacional (the building I take my classes in) are the other university programs from colleges in America. SUNY Albany shares the 3rd floor with Boston University while Syracuse University occupies the entire second floor. We have a cozy library, a small cafeteria and a beautiful garden to sit and spend time in between classes.

I've begun to plan out my weekend trips which I believe I will begin taking next weekend! Stay tuned for much more to come as I will not be spending all my time in the lovely country of Spain. Hast luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment