Thursday, September 5, 2013

The journey and arrival...El viaje y el atterizaje

The last 24 hours of my life have seen more ups and downs than other day in my life. From nervous about the flight, to uncomfortable on the plane, exhausted from lack of sleep, overwhelmed as a result of cultural and language barriers, to now, happy to be here and finally feeling as though I can survive, it has been a challenge thus far.

The combination of no sleep, travel stress, not understanding your home combined with weird new smells and experiences made the first couple hours in Madrid unlike anything I have experienced. After lunch and my first siesta, however, everything turned around.

We toured the Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol while walking around the "kernel of the city" drinking Sangria and eating "the best ham in the world." A couple hours of walking and snacking was followed with another delicious meal. And what better way to be greeted at your new home than to walk in and see the Spanish national team playing basketball on the television. Wow.

Finally, what better way to complete my first day en España than to find a Tapas Bar with my housemates and disfruta la marcha (enjoy the nightlife).

I think I'm gunna like it here...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing, glad to hear you're settling in! I imagine some authentic sangria does the trick every time!

    ReplyDelete