Saturday, September 7, 2013

Los días primeros

Despite the first few hours the struggles have been little to non-existent. On Friday I wet shopping with my housemates for some basic essentials and finished the day by enjoying the night life with the rest of the students in the Madrid program.

Then on Saturday I had the experience of a lifetime when I traveled to Segovia. The program organized a free (eh, kinda) trip for the day as a welcome experience - and what an experience it was!

If you look at my pictures on Facebook they don't even do the town and the architecture justice. All of the buildings are so similar and they give the town a unification that I've only ever seen in movies. But at the same time all of the buildings are different in a unique way as you get closer.

The reality is, Spain (and many other European countries for that matter) have a history that can only be dreamed about in the United States. These towns, villages, churches and architectural feats were accomplished thousands of years before anyone knew of "The New World." As a result, small towns in Spain have a uniqueness to them that can only be fully grasped through personal experience and adventure.

El Catedral (the main church in Segovia) is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The outside is absolutely beautiful, but the real history and wonder is inside. Unfortunately, no one is allowed to take pictures/videos inside but I can assure you it was the most breathtaking thing I have ever experienced. The ceilings are endless, the design is immaculate and it's unlike anything I have ever imagined in the largest cathedral I have ever seen.

The streets are slopped upward as you walk into town toward the church and after walking past the church toward the outskirts of town the streets slope downward. That alone shows the true importance and significance the church had in previous centuries.

In addition to the trip, I have realized how quickly the brain can adapt when truly tested. If you put yourself in situations where you have to speak Spanish and if you force yourself to speak Spanish with your American and Spanish friends then the language encompasses your brain. You get to a point where it is so forefront in your mind that it becomes difficult to use English. I have only been here three days and I already find it difficult to text or speak English after long periods of using Spanish.

However, what made me realize how much progress I have already made was when I sat down and began writing this post. Every sentence I try to write my brain is instinctively trying to type in Spanish. I have to physically concentrate on using English as the Spanish is primary in my brain right now after using it all day. I HAVE ONLY BEEN HERE THREE DAYS! I can't even imagine how much more difficult English will become in the coming weeks, but I can assure you I am excited.

Please look at the pictures and videos I have posted to Facebook in the last few days, they are worth your time, I promise.

I am having the absolute experience of a lifetime and every hour is better than the previous!

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me get to this point. I will try my best to keep the posts in English but in the future it might not be possible.

Qué te vaya bien!

No comments:

Post a Comment